Sunday, March 1, 2009

Just makin it audible.

Today I had two people in two unrelated circumstances tell me to make them something useful. I love functional ceramics and I'm excited about making some in the near future. But if people keep saying to me "when are you going to make some mugs", I'm probably going to start feeling resentful. Maybe i could call myself a sculptor instead of a ceramic artist? Maybe sculptors get asked the same thing. "Nice object, but dude, when can you make me some shelves?"

I kinda get it, I mean, using a beautiful, handmade mug or bowl at breakfast is pretty much the most awesome way to start the day. I have all sorts of ideas for functional ware that i would like to make some day. But seriously. I had my art right there. I was all "Here's something that i put lots of time and effort and thought into!" And they were all "That's wonderful! So anyway, make me something that I can use. With my name on it."

I guess the point of this post is, waa.

No comments:

Post a Comment